The snow has been coming down like nobody's business and let me tell you I love it.(it could be because I have drought paranoia) So after days of the boys begging to be taken sledding I finally caved and we were off to Peteetneet. Of course there were tons of people and the hill really is just an ice slick with a thin layer of snow but the boys got right down to the business of sledding. Down and up and down and up and down and up, somemore. Poor Max had to literally crawl up the slippery slope(isn't that what we are trying to avoid)and I just chuckled everytime he would almost get to the top, slip and slide half way down(yes, my children's suffering and exertion is a source of humor for me, at times) They loved it and I loved watching them love it. AH parenthood. There was only one little hiccup in an otherwise perfect sledding day. Henry saw a bunch of older boys going down the hill in an area that was pretty much through the bushes and trees. His little boy heart had to try it. He knew he would have the run of his young life. Me, being the responsible adult that I am said "Sure, go ahead". We made our way to the top of the run and there were all these big boys(10-12,huge right?) and they were telling Henry he was so crazy and shaking his hand and telling him it was nice knowing him(kids are funny) So Henry just jumps on his sled and without a second thought, goes for it. Big mistake pal. He hit the final jump at the bottom, flew into the air and came down hard right on his 8 year old bum. (still clinging desperately to the sled) So poor guy got his "air taken away" and thought for a second(or more) that he might actually die. But because all of the big boys were around he just crawls off to the side and takes it like a man. All the while looking up at me at the top of the hill with that "why did you let me do this? Who is the adult here?" look. Me, realizing that he is not really hurt, only had the wind knocked out of him, am doing everything in my power to not chuckle(don't judge, I am not really a mean mother) and Max is letting me know that he is the smart, safe child who would never do something that scary. Finally Henry limps his way up to the top like a wounded little soldier and we head off for movies and hot cocoa. I asked Hen in the car if it was fun and if the last jump was worth it and just like a true boy he said, "I guess. I lived, now I know I can do it!" Cracked ribs, broken bones, concussions... here we come. Dang I like these kids.
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Sledding can be fun..if you live
The snow has been coming down like nobody's business and let me tell you I love it.(it could be because I have drought paranoia) So after days of the boys begging to be taken sledding I finally caved and we were off to Peteetneet. Of course there were tons of people and the hill really is just an ice slick with a thin layer of snow but the boys got right down to the business of sledding. Down and up and down and up and down and up, somemore. Poor Max had to literally crawl up the slippery slope(isn't that what we are trying to avoid)and I just chuckled everytime he would almost get to the top, slip and slide half way down(yes, my children's suffering and exertion is a source of humor for me, at times) They loved it and I loved watching them love it. AH parenthood. There was only one little hiccup in an otherwise perfect sledding day. Henry saw a bunch of older boys going down the hill in an area that was pretty much through the bushes and trees. His little boy heart had to try it. He knew he would have the run of his young life. Me, being the responsible adult that I am said "Sure, go ahead". We made our way to the top of the run and there were all these big boys(10-12,huge right?) and they were telling Henry he was so crazy and shaking his hand and telling him it was nice knowing him(kids are funny) So Henry just jumps on his sled and without a second thought, goes for it. Big mistake pal. He hit the final jump at the bottom, flew into the air and came down hard right on his 8 year old bum. (still clinging desperately to the sled) So poor guy got his "air taken away" and thought for a second(or more) that he might actually die. But because all of the big boys were around he just crawls off to the side and takes it like a man. All the while looking up at me at the top of the hill with that "why did you let me do this? Who is the adult here?" look. Me, realizing that he is not really hurt, only had the wind knocked out of him, am doing everything in my power to not chuckle(don't judge, I am not really a mean mother) and Max is letting me know that he is the smart, safe child who would never do something that scary. Finally Henry limps his way up to the top like a wounded little soldier and we head off for movies and hot cocoa. I asked Hen in the car if it was fun and if the last jump was worth it and just like a true boy he said, "I guess. I lived, now I know I can do it!" Cracked ribs, broken bones, concussions... here we come. Dang I like these kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
that made me chuckle aloud to think of hen hittting those jumps. tell him that matt and brant and i have a similar story only we weren't so brave. we all laid at the bottom of peteetneet hill and moaned in a heap.
What a fun day in the snow. Henry is such a super star!
This story made me chuckle so hard. You are the best mom I know. You need to get your bloody license so you can sub for me when I got to Florida in March:) I promise being an RDH is fun!! Let's definately get together and eat some brownies ANYTIME! I am IN.
Marnae - you make me seriously laugh out loud when I read your posts. I'm glad Henry survived. Doesn't every kid have to go through getting the wind knocked out of them while sledding?
Love the story... It gave me flash backs.. everyone who grew up in good old Payson has some peteetneet sledding memories right?
Post a Comment