Thursday, April 24, 2008

Idaho you da pimp

This year, the boys had a full week off for spring break. For all of you out there who can do the math, that amounted to 9 days of freedom, if you factor in the weekends. If you take the reverse logarithm of Pi, it is clear that it was more than enough time for a family vacation. Idaho, land of the potatoes, is where my lover man was raised and so it was the ideal spring break destination. The trip there took about 8 hrs and by hour 7 Millie was in full baby break-down mode. The only thing that calmed her was me singing to her which I think almost put Dave in full daddy break-down mode. But alas, we made it to mama and papa Bake's house. Now in my mind, I pictured a vacation full of trips to Boise, maybe a vistit to the zoo or the World's Center for Birds of Prey, hitting some yummy restraunts, some walks along the canal, what-have you. The boys pictured hours spent traipsing through the fields, making bows and arrows, throwing the tennis ball for the dog, collecting feathers, killing black widows, looking for smakes, and exploring the homestead. All I got was one walk along the canal. But complain I can not. My boys were in heaven, Barbara( my saint of a mother-in-law) fed us like kings, I met some of Dave's relatives, Larry (my wonderful father-in-law) taught me a few cords on the guitar(I am crappy but at a least I have a base), Dave proved once again that he is father of the year with his skills at making weaponry, and I read a great book. Millie was a tad under the weather, but still found it in her to impress us all with her cuteness. Below is the pictorial evidence.

Mimi and Hen when the going was good.

Mugs checking out the scenery.
The HomesteadThe Canal Walk
Boys and truck
Millie and Grandpa
Max enjoying some of Grandma's home cookin'
Proof of Dave's Mad skills
Boys and old house on the homesteadMillie and Grandma
Mill loved this little chair
P.S. the book was called Pillars of the Earth and was fantastic!

5 comments:

cpcox99 said...

Sounds like a fun week. I'm glad the boys got to run wild on the homestead and you got time to read a big book. :) We're glad you're home again now too!

Nicole said...

U is daho Marnae.
I think I'm leaving the big apple for a jaunt in the beehive in May...hopefully I can swing by and say hello? I think I need your email address...
I think of you all the time...did you noticed that I blogged (It's a miracle, I know) and I blogged regarding you and Peru?
No more Clay Aiken and his sexy fat face to greet you anymore.

The Despain Gang said...

Hi Marnae, unfortunately we've never met but Dave is my cousin on Barbara's side (you may have met my parents in Idaho--Bonnie & Leonard Weber or my brother Craig & his family (Maria and 2 girls; 2 boys)). I just had to comment on this post. I found your blog from Jared & Larisa's site and Kimbie's site. I love my Aunt Barbara; she really is amazing in so many ways--an excellent cook, mother, and aunt. Wonderful woman--couldn't agree more! Cute pics and glad to hear you had a great time. FYI: I'm Jeremy Bake's age and love the Bake family!
-Melissa
PS: Isn't that book you read like 900+ pages; WOW!

disneyking said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time in the untamed Northern wilderness. And with Dave's weapon mastery, you all never have to worry about what to do for food should we suddenly find ourselves without the local Wal*Mart fully stocked. Dave can go all Nephi on the wild animals and provide food for the family for years to come. At what point we'll come and live with you guys, okay?
Much Love!

Jared & Larisa said...

What a Parma trip! Makes me want to pack up and let Ky do all the fun stuff Max and Henry got to do. Mom and Dad Bake certainly know how to make you feel at home, don't they?