Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Mat is My World

Tell me, have you had this experience? The one where, in your head you look pretty good, borderline sexy, if you will. Then you catch a picture of yourself at a nephew's baby blessing, outside, sitting on a lawn chair, with a plate heaped full of food and reality hits you like a freight train going about a million miles an hour? Ever had that one? The one where pre-picture you liked yourself and post-picture was nothing but despair and self-loathing? Are you with me?

Today I was feeling a bit down in the mouth so when I woke up at the unnatural hour of 6am for yoga I almost called in sick, which is to say, I almost called Jana and didn't show up. Luckily the better part of my self insisted we go. (sorry Jana to steal your post idea) I love yoga. I love the way it makes my body feel. I love the people who come to class. I love my mat(thanks Dave) I love heart love it. In fact, if yoga was a person, Dave would have had some serious competition.*
Suffice it to say, yoga rocks.

Today during class I remembered just how lucky I am to have my body. An instructor of mine, years ago, said that, no two bodies are alike. Not just because of their genetics but because of their experience. No two have taken the same steps, birthed the same babies, jumped, danced, twisted, twirled, loved, stretched, or hurt in equal measure. Yoga helps me remember that my body is unique. Yes, I can't do eagle with any amount of grace or balance but I will some day. If I just keep at it and let my ego go, I always find myself deeper and more balanced. I suprise myself in certain postures. It also reminds me that I will have days when I am not strong or contolled and that is ok. There is always my next practice. Yoga lets me like my body for a full hour without judgement or despair. I have had the added bonus of teaching lately and even though I am neither qualified or adept it does my soul good.

I need my mat to be my world every once in a while. I need to let it all go and focus on my breath and my body and the funny sound I make while trying to breath and teach. I need yoga. What do you need?


*Disclaimer: I also need Dave. If yoga died and was no more I would eventually pick up the pieces and move forward. Without Dave, I am not so sure.

7 comments:

The Despain Gang said...

Totally relate. I need my 1-hour walk in the morning. Today it is raining and I am totally bummed because I didn't get to walk with fresh air, sounds of nothing and everything at the same time. I didn't get my girl time talking with friends while I walk.

Your post made me want to jump in the car and go to a yoga class this minute. I've only experienced what you were talking about concerning understanding your body once. When I was a student at BYU I took an aerobics dance class, which I was totally intimdated at. Anyway, during the "free-style" dance part we'd have the whole area to just jump and be wild for a few seconds each (we'd stand in a line and wait our turn). I was totally nervous at first but then I did it the first time and totally felt renewed in an undescribeable way. It was as if I was alone and could fill every muscle in my legs, arms, and mind. It was unique and I loved those days. Anyway, don't have money for a gym membership right now so I love my walking group and love being outside. When winter comes, I'll have to find a new venue for my release! ;)
-Melissa
PS: Sorry for the long comment.

Tyler and Emily said...

I need to see your face....

oh and I need a new bra, mine is killing me.

Yoga's the best, Bryan Kest has been giving Ty a run for his money- especially in those cut off jeans and no shirt.

Jen said...

Loving your blog!!! So fun to meet you last night!

Monica said...

Yoga... really is great isn't it!

Jana said...

I love your view of your body. We are all different and need to learn to love our bodies the way they are. see you tomorrow at yoga!!

disneyking said...

ahhh how I loved this posty post post. I soo wish I could come and do Yoga with you. I hate the fact that i have to work and miss out on the real important things in life.
I heart Yoga as well and even though I'm soo out of practice, will someday take it up again. I understand your feelings on it, Marnae (for real) I double heart my purple mat.
When are we going to hang out??!!!!
Much love,
Ryan

Nanette said...

Hi Marnae! It was fun to meet you in person at Emily's shower! I'm a yoga lover too. I can totally relate!