A little over a month ago we got a mouse. We acquired it in the traditional way.....
Henry, "Hey mom, look what I found."(his friend's mouse had babies, the mom wouldn't keep them all)
Me, "WHAT THE? Ewww."
Henry, "Mom, if we don't keep it THEY are going to let it go, in a field!(gasp) It is just a baby! It will DIE!"( huge gasp)
Me, "Let me look at it again.................Oh, it is a baby (losing the battle)"
Henry, "He needs us."
Me, "Go ask Dad." (trying to hold on to some thread of control)
Needless to say we kept said mouse and then 5 days later added another rodent to the family in much the same manner. There they were, Fred and Emily(who was later re-named Emilio) And we loved them. We bought a new cage, a wheel, a dish and a water dropper. Things were going smoothly. Turtle and mice and happy boys. Then.............
"Fred is dead." said completely in monotone.
We buried his little body on the side of the house by the water meter. A few words were said. Sad day. Turtle and mouse and melancholy boys.
The next day.
Henry, "Mom, I was talking to Tortuga (our turtle)about Fred."
Me, "Oh?" (wondering if this is his grief rearing it's ugly head, Has my poor child started thinking that his animals can talk? Should I call someone?)
Henry, "I asked him if he even cared that Fred was dead?"
Me, "And?" (is that anger? does he wish it would have been Tortuga?)
Henry, "He went like this" (imitating the turtle nodding it's head)
Me, "Well that is sweet of him."(trying not to giggle)
I love these people. Thank you Fred for your place in our lives. You will be missed, by all of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I loved every minute of that post! I'm sorry to hear about poor Fred.
On another note, you damn well better come to book club on Thursday!
The End
That is a funny post! Your are an awesome writer! Tell the boys we send our deepest sympathies over Fred.
Shannon
Oh, poor little Fred.
I had a pet mouse as a kid (of course, I did) her name was Minnie Mouse and I adored her! They are cute little creatures when in their cages!
Sorry for your loss!
oh, so cool! The letters for the word verification are: INXS and then a q. Groovy.
Post a Comment