Sunday, August 24, 2008

Summer lovin'- Maple Canyon

So this picture of Max refuses to do what I say(kind of like the real boy) so it is going to have to just hang out on the top.
We went camping to this fantastic place called Maple Canyon. It is supposedly a rock climbing mecca. We got to hang out with a bunch of great folks. Henry learned to rock climb
I got some super-de-duper one-on-one time with Kimby, whom I love. Here she is holding Cannon(one of the cutest, calmest babies on the planet earth)
Also got some serious campfire time with this lil' rascal. Nope that is not a recruiter for the Taliban. It is Matt of Mathias photography my very own little brother. Whom I also love. Plus he brought along Jordan and Paxton(friends) and the good times couldn't have gotten any better.
Then there is this gal, Mesa. Seriously this girl is one in a million. The boys love her and have such a great time hanging out with her.
Then there is this little dude. Just about as fun as they come. Unless he is hungry or has to wait for his dad to get to the camp. He also mastered the whole rock climbing thing.
Henry, becoming one with the rock. He was kickin' that rocks bum.
Here is the party people, the rock masters, the Kevin and Emily Bake family. Parents to Cannon and Mesa. Brother to David. Heroes to Marnae. They are cool cats.
Here is me and the gal watching all the fun wondering why I didn't get a chance, but being too big of a chicken to ask. I swear, I wanted to be 7 for about an hour so I could feel comfortable asking to rockclimb.
And now to the sad part of our story. So while all of the rest of us were having the time of our lives(all except our camp neighbors who were appalled that we had the nerve to have a camp fire, huh, weirdos) little Millie Mae was whiney and wanted to be held. She was only quasi-happy in the baby back-pack. There were several times we almost just took her home. Then she would be okay and so we would get lulled into a false sense of calm. Then after a beautiful powwow around the campfire I fell asleep to the sounds of babbling brooks and little boy snores. At about 3ish Millie started whimpering and then full-fledged crying, on and off, for the rest of the evening(or early morning) so I snuggled and sang and prayed(those tents don't keep any noise out) to no avail. She was burning up and pissed. We barely made it through the night alive.( I am suprised the anti-campfire neighbors didn't shoot us). So we had breakfast, cleaned up and headed out. A few days later girl gets rash all over her body. Burning fever+rash= Roseola. When I read about it in the Mayo clinic book it said that it includes severe body aches and fever, in short, misery. Man, I felt like a crap mom.
Then I remembered this.......................
Poor, tortured baby.
Aside from the child abuse, it was one fantastic trip. Thanks to all involved!

5 comments:

DebLawson said...

What a fun camping trip. I love going with good friends, it's just such a blast.

Sorry baby Millie was sick. at least you were able to have some good times before heading out with the sick babe.

We want to have one last camping trip (ok, our first camping trip of this year) in a few weekends before the weather gets too cold!

The Despain Gang said...

WOW that looks like so much fun--except for little Millie. Okay I don't mean to be cruel, but I laughed out loud at the pinkie toe out the shoe. I don't know why, but that was so funny to me--sorry little Millie--I'm just mean! Anyway, sorry she got so sick. How did she contract it? What fun to get together with Kimbie and Kevin and your silblings--awesome memories.
-Melissa

Monica said...

Marnae don't feel like a crap mom, your a super mom. Besides I heard that it is far far better for children suffering with roseola to be in nature then in a stuffy house and in the comfort of their own crib. (please do not ask me for references on this fact....but I know it has to be true )

...by the way the canyon is super cool.. I love it there.

Emily said...

That was so fun, we need to do it again! But this time we'll make sure Millie is feeling good, so we don't torture her in the wilderness! And we'll also make sure our camping neighbors are okay with a campfire (who would have thought that making a campfire while camping was so annoying to others!) The pinkie toe picture is classic!

Lori Muir said...

Crap mom?? crap mom?? Who can do anything about them getting sick while on a camping trip? Pull yourself together woman! I'm glad you got to go. It sounded fun.