Monday, September 1, 2008

Payson Onion Daze!

Dear Payson Onion Days,

Hello there! So remember how you and I hung out this weekend? That was cool. Remember how Friday was "family night" and all rides were $1 and all of the Payson cheapskates arrived en masse to take advantage of you? Remember how I did too and how the line for the ferris wheel was about 2 hours and then an additional 4 1/2 to load all the cars? Yeah. And how Millie wanted to stand up and freaked out when she couldn't? So fun. Remember how family night should be renamed "destroy all feelings of love for you family cuz all the kids do is complain and whine about the long lines and babies freak-out(but it's cheap, right?) night"? Remember how the lines were so long and you didn't wait for us to start the fireworks show? It's okay. Remember how mom and Mills and I hung out for a few hours with you on Saturday to do some booth shopping and we all left really disappointed? Oh, you thought the booths rocked? (delusional) What? Oh nothing. Then remember how the kids and I went to mom's house for the traditional Labor Day, german pancake breakfast? Then we came all fed and happy to enjoy the parade and ended up in a torrential downpour? That was exciting. Uh-huh, Millie totally freaked out(once again) Yeah. Super fun.
Sad thing is I really look forward to spending time with you(a full year) then you pull this kind of crap? Payson Onion Days? What is going on with you? Maybe you need to talk to someone about this. Seriously, I hardly got to see any pals, the carny rats were especially dirt and pushy, the booths were, so-so, and to add insult to injury I got reminded that my 20 year high school reunion is just around the corner. Is that anyway to treat a loyal friend? Maybe you should think about that. Maybe next year you can bring back the magic that is Payson Onion Days.

I don't mean to be harsh. I know that in years gone by you have been all a local, small-town, celebration is suppose to be. But dang, this year was a tad bit(really really) la
me.

Love your friend,
Marnae

P.S.
Remeber how Matt's mullet
was the best part of the whole dealio?

P.S.S.

Maybe if you bring these gals next year you can redeem yourself. Maybe.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Can I use your letter and send it to Swiss Days? It could have been better.. but going on Saturday.. afternoon... when it's 1000 degrees... And everybody not at onion days was at swiss days instead... and I'm 7 months pregnant? Ooooohhhhh... it wasn't pretty.

BUT--- SEE YOU TH! SO EXCITED!

Jana said...

Just remember next year to go to family night on Friday as early as possible, than there are no lines and you can keep those feelings of love for your family. :) (It was super fun at around 4:30). And Tanner thought going to the parade was a bad idea after he was soaked and freezing. But it was super funny to see those beauty drenched and hiding under parts of their float!

Lori Muir said...

I totally lost all love for Onion Days when last year when Jacey had thee ccuuuttteeest costume (Like a little silver Saturn dress with matching head band made by yours truly) and the ccuutttest smile for the baby contest and lost to some chick with big hair. BIG Hair at age 9 months? What's up with that? Onion Days. Shmunion Days.

The Luke Family said...

Marnae,
You may have had a bad day or two but I would have givin anything to be there! And you can take your pick it was SOOOOO hot and incredibly humid I steped outside and I was driping wet.
Mandee
p.s. how did the shoe party go

cpcox99 said...

Yeah Marnae - I have to agree with Jana. We went to the carnival at 4:30, didn't wait in any lines and left by 6:00 after hitting almost every ride. We always avoid the booths (overpriced junk for the most part) and I actually skipped out on the parade. We missed you running the 5k. Are you feeling better now? I hope so!!

disneyking said...

wow... so I'm taking it that the Bake clan didn't really enjoy the festivities offered by this years annual Payson celebration. Well, if you would have come to the parade with us, maybe that would have redeemed the O.D. celebration somewhat.
G. and I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Seeing all the small city royalties clinging together under blankets while the rain poured down on them was priceless. Seeing the cast for Beauty and the Beast just get dumped on in the rain was even more priceless. Seeing the dancers/cheerleaders/karate students running around crazily trying to act happy and spunky while they got soaked was... priceless. And to boot, Haven got more candy than she will in the next 3 Halloweens combined. That's what happens I suppose when the participants know that there are only 3 people left along the parade route and they have 17 bags of candy still on board.
Ohhh what an experience it was.
Oh, and did I mention that yes, we were out there as well... getting soaked!
Much love

ArringtonZoo said...

I was really bitter that Onion Days did not deliver. Of course, Marn, You can't really blame it on her. I have to admit though, that when I went to the play that day (cause what else are we supposed to do in a downpour?) and I saw Matt Selman from afar, I burst into giggles and my Onion Day was truly made.

Heather said...

Marnea you are a crack up! It's been awhile since I've stocked your blog, and I have to say you are FUNNY! Thanks for all the great posts. you made my morning! Oh and yah, I completely agree with the whole Payson Onions day but to add to it I stood in line for 45 min.s to buy tickets for the play and then they say " Sorry we're not selling anymore tickets." What the! I hate you Payson Onion Days!